Catering Mark - Silver Food for Life
What is the Food for Life Catering Mark ?
The Food for Life Catering Mark is an endorsement from the Soil Association Scotland that as caterers we have taken steps to ensure that the food that we serve uses fresh ingredients which are free from undesirable additives and trans fats, are better for animal welfare and comply with national nutrition standards.
There are three levels to the Catering mark. Bronze, Silver and Gold.
We are at Silver level which means that
- Our meals do not contain any undesirable food additives,
- hydrogenated fats or GM ingredients.
- Over 75% of our dishes are freshly prepared every day by our cooks.
- All of the meat we use is traceable and from farms which satisfy UK welfare standards.
- All of the eggs we use are free range from cage free hens.
- We offer a seasonal menu.
- We provide ongoing training for our dedicated team of catering staff.
- We ensure our meals comply with the national nutritional standards set out by the Scottish Government.
- We provide information for children about where their food comes from.
- Poultry, eggs and pork are produced in line with the standards set for the Freedom Food Scheme, a welfare minimum or 10% of ingredients are organic. All of the milk we use in our recipes and the children drink is certified local organic milk.
- A range of locally sourced items are on the menu.
- No fish is served from the Marine Conservation Society “fish to avoid list”.
We use a chef’s hat logo to let you know the recipes that are freshly prepared by our catering teams and the green apple logo for the vegetarian choices on offer. All of the meat fillings we use are cooked as joints and sliced by our catering teams to ensure the highest quality and no additives. Fresh bread is available on a daily basis along with a varied choice of seasonal items from our salad bar.
One third of our pupil’s calories are provided as part of a school meal and there is a growing awareness of the link between good food, health, academic attainment and the environment. As people become more concerned about where their food comes from, the Catering Mark help’s ensure that what is on our menu is fully traceable, sustainable and healthy.
We are proud to hold this level of the award for our Primary School Meals in Stirling.