Housing benefits

Housing and Council Tax Benefits

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit helps people on low incomes pay their rent. Anyone who has to pay rent to live in their home can make a claim. You can make a claim if you pay rent to the Council, a Housing Association or a private landlord, and if you are working, unemployed or disabled.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction Application Forms

Local Housing Allowance (LHA)

Local Housing Allowance is a way of working out claims for Housing Benefit, made by tenants who rent accommodation from a private landlord. Different rules apply from 1st April 2011
This will not affect you if you rent from the Council, Housing association, if your tenancy started before 1989, if you rent a caravan, or if you live in a hotel or hostel.  

Council Tax Reduction Scheme 

Council Tax Reduction Scheme helps people on a low income to pay their Council Tax Bills. It can help you pay all or part of your Council Tax. Anyone who is liable to pay Council Tax can make a claim for Council Tax Reduction Scheme.
You can make a claim if you are working, unemployed or disabled.

Discretionary Housing Payment Scheme

If your Housing Benefit award does not cover the full cost of your rent and experiencing financial hardship, you may be due extra help for a limited time under the Discretionary Housing Payment Scheme.  You will need to provide a list of the things you have to pay for each week and receipts for your gas and/or electricity, any loan repayments, and other bills.  The Discretionary Housing Payment Scheme cannot help with Water and Waste charges or the repayment of overpaid benefit. Call us on 01786 233210 for an application form or for help in applying.

Benefits Calculator

Find out if you might qualify for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit.  Remember this calculation is an estimate based on the information you supply.  If you want to make an application for benefit  phone 01786 233210 for a form.  Usually Benefit will only start from the Monday after the Council receive your form so make your claim now.

Bedroom Calculator

Check out your Local Housing Allowance category so you can find the right number of bedrooms for you, just select the circumstances which describe you (and your family, if any) on the lists below and let the program work it out.

Benefit  - Appeals

What to do if you do not agree with the amount of Benefit you have been given or any of the decisions made on your claim.

Benefit Fraud

If you feel that someone is cheating the benefits system, please call our Fraud Hotline on 01786 443088 or write to:

The Benefit Fraud Team, Governance
Stirling Council
Teith House
Kerse Road,
Stirling.                                                                                                                                           FK7 7QA.

You can also contact us by email on reportfraud@stirling.gov.uk

You can also call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854440 if you would prefer or via www.fraudcentral.org.uk

Changes of Circumstances

You must tell us straight away about any changes in circumstances for you, your partner, or anyone else who lives with you.  

You can tell us by

If you do not tell us straight away you may lose out on Benefit, but if you have been paid too much Benefit you will have to pay it back.


Where to get more information

You can contact us by:

  • Telephone on 01786 233210 between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday (3.30pm Wednesdays)
  • In writing to Customer Services Teith House, Kerse Road, Stirling FK7 7QA
  • email us
  • visiting us at Customer First 1-5 Port Street Stirling FK8 2EJ (bottom of King Street)

Full details about Welfare Benefits are available from the Department of Work and Pensions.


Rate this page