Help Bring Stirling alive - Take part in our Online Survey and let us know what you want!
View the official Tolbooth site to find out about:
- What's on
- How to book the Tolbooth
- The Recording Studio
- Courses and Classes
With the help of Simpson and Brown, we have put together a list of the changes made to the building over the last few hundred years. In 1698 a new bell for the town clock in the steeple was ordered from Holland
- Pre 1703 an early Tolbooth building of two storeys existed. Evidence of building before 1703 can be seen incorporated within the present building
- 1703 Duncan Kerr of Falkirk was commissioned to make a new clock for the steeple and a year later he was asked to supply a new staff, globe and weathercock
- 1703 - 1705 Stirling's current Tolbooth was built to a design by Sir William Bruce
- 1785 the building was extended eastwards by 3 bays by architect Gideon Gray
- 1806 - 1811 a court-house and jail were added to the south of the Tolbooth fronting onto Jail Wynd and St John Street... this was added by Edinburgh architect Richard Crichton.
- A fine stone fireplace is built in one of the main first floor rooms and has an oil-painting of the landscape painted directly onto the panelling above it
- 1864 a recast of the 1698 - 16" diameter belfry bell was made, along with a chime of sixteen bells
- 2000 - 2001 a hidden staircase was revealed in the courtroom, now the Tolbooth's main auditorium. The staircase was first thought to have been the stairwell up which prisoners were led into the heart of the court to hear their fate. However, rather than for the prisoners, it appears that the staircase was created to enable the members of the jury to ascend directly into the courtroom above, as noted in the Stirling Observer 1 October 1857.
A glass viewing panel has now been placed at the bottom on the stairwell in the reception toilet area to enable interested visitors to view this historic stairwell.
The Tolbooth is a listed Category 'A' building. Many of the original features of the building have been restored by conservation architects Simpson and Brown.