Document of the Month - November
As 2020 is Scotland’s year of Coast and Waters, November’s Document of the Month looks at the records held here at Stirling Council Archives for Stirling Fishing Club.
Stirling Fishing Club was founded in 1844 with the first meeting taking place on 23rd March 1844. In this first meeting of the new club, a set of rules was agreed upon, the admission of members was discussed, and the election of office positions for the council year took place, Colonel Young and Colonel Baird were appointed as president and vice president, respectively.
The price of a yearly membership was also discussed and set at 5/, this was quickly changed to a £1-1/ admission fee and an annual charge of 5/ in order to better fund the club. Today, a full membership at the Stirling Castle Angling Club costs £50.
The club hosted fly fishing and trolling competitions each year during the spring and summer months, which took place at a number of rivers and lochs in the surrounding area such as the River Allan, Loch Katrine and Loch Ard, located 5km west of Aberfoyle and believed to be the source of the River Forth. One such competition took place on Monday 12th August 1901 at Loch Leven, despite a letter of complaint sent to the club council that this date was unsuitable as it also happened to be ‘the very day upon which grouse shooting begins’. The August competition went ahead as planned with the first place prize of a rod valued at £1-11-6 going to Mr J.A Miller, a long standing member of the club. Second place went to Mr J.A.G Kirk, who was awarded a rod valued at £1, with Mr J Melvin taking third place and receiving a basket worth 10/6.
PD/109/2: Stirling Fishing Club minutes, 28th March 1902
PD/109/2: Stirling Fishing Club minutes, letter of complaint 8th April 1901
PD/109/7: Stirling Fishing Club council pamphlet
PD/109/7: Stirling Fishing Club council pamphlet continued
Stirling Castle Angling Club is in operation today and members are permitted to fly fish at Cocksburn Reservoir, also known as Pendriech, located near Bridge of Allan.