Although a civil partnership is not a marriage, it is a union of two people. By confirming a civil partnership, couples can gain important rights and responsibilities.
Choose to have a Civil Partnership ceremony or a Civil Partnership registration.
  • Registration can be as simple. Go to any of our Registration offices with two witnesses and sign the official documentation.
  • A Civil Partnership ceremony can take place at any of our offices or at a venue of your choice. If you decide to have a ceremony, you can include the exchanging of rings/gifts, readings, music etc.
When you have decided on your preferred date and venue, please contact the Registrar to book your ceremony or registration.


A Civil Partnership Notice Form (CP10) must be submitted by each party in the three month period before the date of your partnership. This should be no later than 29 days before that date.

Fees and both birth certificates should accompany the completed civil partnership notice (CP10) forms.

  • If either party has been previously married or in a civil partnership, additional documents will be required
  • If a person is subject to immigration controls, they will need to satisfy certain eligibility requirements before notice can be accepted.
    • You will need to provide a Declaration of Immigration Status form which you can get from the Registrar or on the NRS (National Records of Scotland) website.
    • Evidence to support the statement you make on the Declaration of Immigration Status form will also be required. 
    • If you are a foreign national, it is advisable to allow sufficient time for submitting civil partnership notice forms where additional documentation is required.
  • Two people to be present to act as witnesses to your civil partnership.  
    • The two witnesses must be aged 16 or over and be capable of fully understanding the proceedings.  
    • The Registrar must be notified of the full names and addresses of both witnesses. Please also complete a Witness and Celebrant and return with your paperwork.
    • If either party to the marriage or the witnesses are unable to understand or converse fluently in English, an interpreter will have to be present at the marriage.  

All documentation submitted to the Registrar must be originals. Photocopies will not be accepted.

The Registrar will advise you on the current statutory fees and any additional fees.

Couples in a civil partnership registered in Scotland are able to convert their civil partnership to a marriage in Scotland.

  • You can keep your civil partnership if you prefer.
  • New civil partnerships will continue to be available as an alternative to marriage in Scotland.

If you do decide to convert your civil partnership to a marriage, there are two ways you can do this:

  1. Ceremony –You can convert your civil partnership to marriage by marrying in the usual way, with a civil, religious or belief ceremony. 
  2. Administrative route – Download Application Form make an appointment with your local registrar, bring a photo ID (e.g. passport, driving licence, etc) and get your marriage certificate there and then without a ceremony.

In either case, legally your marriage will be treated as having started on the date you registered your civil partnership, and the marriage certificate you get will state that your marriage is treated as having started on that earlier date.

Last updated: Friday, September 17, 2021 12:36 PM