What is home education?
Most parents choose to enrol their children in a local authority or independent school but some opt to home educate. If you opt to choose home education, please write to the Chief Education Officer who will arrange a visit from an Education Officer.
The Education Scotland Act 1980 states:
"it shall be the duty of the parent of every child of school age to provide sufficient education for him suitable to his age ability and aptitude either by causing him to attend a public school regularly or by other means."
- Scottish Government guidance for parents and local authorities
- Schoolhouse Home Education Association
- Accessibility strategy
- Additional support needs
- Additional support needs tribunals
- Assessment process
- Co-ordinated support plan
- Education in hospital
- Educational Psychology Service
- Getting it right for every child (GIRFEC)
- Placement in mainstream schools
- Pre-school children with additional support needs
- Supervised medication
- Transport for children and young people with additional support needs
- Travelling people (support for children)
- Additional Support Needs Outreach Service
- Social, Emotional and Behavioural Needs Support Service