Play Parks - Memorial Park - Pullar
Green Flag Award
The Green Flag Award, administered in Scotland by Keep Scotland Beautiful, is the benchmark for green space. The three Stirling parks, run by Stirling Council, have received the award acknowledging the quality outdoor space that they provide and the wider benefits they deliver for communities - including enabling and encouraging exercise, improving mental well-being and encouraging play for child development.
The three parks awarded in July 2017 were :
See also the Keep Scotland Beautiful Website
The Memorial Park is located off Henderson Street in Bridge of Allan. Memorial Park was donated to the local community by Major Edmund Pullar in 1919 following World War 1, as a location for a War Memorial. The Memorial was unveiled at the official opening ceremony on the 26th May 1923.
The Memorial was first dedicated in 1923 to commemorate the servicemen of Bridge of Allan who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1919. Then, in 1947, it was rededicated listing the names of members of the armed services who fell in World War II. The cenotaph – an obelisk set on a marble plinth - was refurbished and rededicated in 2009.
A Peace Garden was incorporated into the park in 1987. The Memorial Park Masterplan was completed in 2012, in partnership with the local community. Since the completion of the Masterplan the park has benefited from a number of enhancements, including path resurfacing, tree management and new street furniture.
Memorial Park remains largely consistent to the original 1920s park layout, comprising planted beds surrounding the centrally located War Memorial. The park's aesthetic value is both in the parks tree collection and setting. The Henderson Street boundary is planted up with ornamental Cherry trees which are a distinct feature of the park.
Tennis courts and a Multi Use Games Area are located within close proximity of the park. The path network within the park is suitable for all users.
Memorial Park and its facilities are free and open for use at all times and is managed and maintained by our Land Services team.