We provide support for young people who are in the process of leaving care and aiming to live interdependently. We have a duty of care for young people who are looked after or accommodated at, or after, their school leaving date and who are between the ages of 16 and 26.

We offer:

Education and employment

  • Supporting you to apply for courses
  • Supporting you with the costs of attending training or college
  • Supporting you to find a job or if required, assistance on how to apply for benefits from JobCentre Plus


  • Supporting you to apply for suitable accommodation
  • Financial support for rent, maintenance or winter fuel payments
  • Assistance to furnish your property
  • Supported Lodging Scheme

Personal support

  • Help and support with family relationships
  • Emotional support
  • Providing support to address health problems, including drug and alcohol issues


Once a date has been agreed for you to leave care, our team will begin working with you and your allocated social worker.

We may attend your "Looked After Child" reviews - these reviews give you and others the opportunity to express your opinion about how soon we become involved in supporting you.  We will then develop a "Pathways" plan.  This will be reviewed at least every 6 months.


Pathways ensure that all young people can access the same standard of service across seven areas:

  • Lifestyle
  • Family and friends
  • Health and wellbeing
  • Learning and work
  • Where I live
  • Money
  • Rights and legal issues

Find out more about Pathways.

If accessing continuing care a welfare assessment will be completed.

How long you can expect to receive support

You can return to us for advice guidance and assistance at any point up until your 26th birthday. A pathways assessment will be completed to determine eligible need.

Eligible needs are defined in the Aftercare (Eligible Needs) (Scotland) Order 2015 as:

a) financial support to meet essential accommodation and maintenance costs, such as travel and other necessary living expenses;

b) support, in the form of information or advice, to assist the person to access education, training, employment, leisure and skills-related opportunities; and

c) insofar as not covered by sub-paragraph (b), support, in the form of information or advice, relating to the person’s wellbeing.

Sometimes eligible need can be met elsewhere; we can support you to access these services if you require.

You may also be interested in:

Scottish Child Law Centre

Advice and information on Scottish child law and children’s rights.

Contact on: 0800 328 8970 (mobiles) 0300 330 1421

LGTB Youth Scotland

Groups, advice, volunteering and other opportunities for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender young people.

Contact on: 0131 555 3940 or Text Line: 07786 202 370

Scotland’s Commissioner for Children and Young People

Promotes and safeguards the rights of children and young people living in Scotland.

Contact on: 0800 019 1179

Childline Scotland

Get help and advice about a wide range of issues, phone in, talk to a counsellor online, send Childline an email or post on the message boards

Contact on: 0800 1111

Young Scot Infoline

Young Scot is the national information and citizenship organisation supported by the Scottish Government for young people aged 11-26 in Scotland. The declared aim of the organization is to make young people informed, incentivised and active citizens through the information they provide.

Contact on: 0808 801 0338

Who Cares Scotland

Who Cares offer free, independent services to ensure that your voice is heard and your views are expressed in decisions which affect your lives.  


We strive to provide high quality, person-centred service.  However, if you feel that you are unhappy with the service you have received, you have a legal right to complain.

If you are unhappy with Social Work services, please see our complaints procedure.

Contact us

If there is anything else you want to know, please feel free to contact us.

Last updated: Thursday, February 25, 2021 5:34 PM