• Mar's Wark was commissioned around 1569 by the powerful Earl of Mar.
  • The Earls of Mar were originally the Erskine Family who were appointed by David II as hereditary keepers of Stirling Castle.
  • The shell of a splendid renaissance style townhouse is all that remains of a once, grand building at the top of the Old Town.
  • Mar's Wark, decorated with stone carvings, panels and gargoyles. Much of the stone would have come from the ruined Cambuskenneth Abbey.
  • The 11th Earl of Mar supported the Jacobite cause and following the failure of the 1715 rebellion, the house was converted into barracks. During the 1745-6 rising it was damaged by cannon fire and fell into ruin.