The Old Bridge
- The bridge was built over 500 years by Murdoch, Duke of Albany, who was executed on the Beheading Stone.
- It was the lowest bridging point over the River Forth for almost four centuries.
- Duties were levied on goods entering the Burgh and customs men sat in a covered booth in a recess in the middle of the bridge.
- In 1571 a gallows was erected on the bridge to hang Archbishop Hamilton.
- In 1745, the Southernmost arch was blown up by general Blackney to prevent the Highlanders from crossing.
Before the bridge was built there were earlier structures, including the wooden bridge. This wooden bridge is where Sir William Wallace defeated the English at the Battle of Stirling Bridge in 1297.
In 1606, the battlefield, now known as Bridgehaugh was used as a plague camp and some 600 men, women and children died here.
Winding River Forth